Maddy Cha

Yellow Couch Sessions

Skills:
typography
illustration
print


Fall 2017

 

Yellow Couch Sessions

This project evolved from a series of exercises in exploring visual variables and content. Being supplied with content for the Yellow Couch Sessions, I created two different posters respective to a light and dark theme.

 
poster_mockup_MD.jpg
poster_mockup_MD2.jpg

Type Experiments

For this portion of the exercise, I was limited to only altering through indentation, weight, or spacing. After creating four to five different variations of each constraint, these were the three that I found to be the most effective in communicating the information.

 

From here, I was able to work within multiple constraints in order to get a better understanding of composition. I decided to utilize a lot of negative space in my designs so as to leave room to play with imagery.

 

Color Experiments

I then moved on to implementing color into my hierarchical exercises. I decided on a more muted color palette to match the more indie/lowkey vibe of the Yellow Couch Sessions studio.

 

Image Experiments

I started off testing real images in similar and new compositions to what I had originally been testing. While I found these experiments to be valuable in understanding the affordances of combining images and type, I did not think that they represented the events in a way that made sense with the theme of Yellow Couch Sessions.

 

Because of this realization, I began to work with illustration in order to get a better feel for the vibe I was trying to communicate. I started with imagery of a yellow couch (for obvious reasons) as a way to test different styles of mark making and expression.

 

Final Iteration Process

Once I had an idea of the visual style I wanted to use for my illustrations, I considered what else I could use to communicate the message of the Yellow Couch Sessions without being as literal. While I had trouble in thinking of ideas, I ended up with a simple line drawing of hands playing a chord on a guitar. I thought that it was a more elegant solution to something that started off extremely literal.

 

Through testing out a few compositions, I decided that the two posters should have different compositions as opposed to just different color schemes. I decided that I wanted the light one to seem more fun and playful in nature, and have the darker one more elegant.

 

Reflection

Through this iterative and constrained process, I was able to get a better understanding of the different impacts that visual variables have on a piece, and how much small details can alter the overall feel of a design. Additionally, I realized the affordances of combining type and imagery as well as how they can compliment one another when considered.