hi i'm maddy :—)
welcome 2 my portfolio

hi i'm maddy :—)
welcome 2 my portfolio~*~*~

studies @
carnegie mellon
design + hci

worked @
twitter — summer 2019
livity — summer 2018
nvidia — summer 2018

With Love

Representing Individuals within the LGBTQ+ Community



print design

book binding



This collection is made up of survey responses from people who identify as lgbtq+ as a form of representation for individuals within the community. This project is made up of a 48 page bound book and corresponding website for respondents of the survey to view the results.

check out the website here ↝


Representation of people who identify as LGBTQ+ is often extremely one-dimensional and overly focused on their gender/sexuality.


I sent out a short survey which can be found here. Rather than ask a bunch of questions I might use, I limited to questions I knew I would use so as not to deter people by the length of the survey.


After distributing my survey over social media, I ended up with around 70 unique responses. I focused on making sure I had a variety of different objects, reasons for appreciating said objects, and identities represented. Additionally, I wanted to make sure to include objects from people who were either still figuring out their identity so as to highlight the fact that understanding one’s sexuality/gender is not as straightforward and immediate as people may believe it to be.

Additionally, I tried not to heavily edit the responses I received. I kept everything as under-case so as to make the responses appear more consistent and edited minor spelling errors.

Illustration Style

I experimented with a couple different ways of visualizing a few of the objects to start off with. As not every submission included a photo, I needed a way to display them all while being consistent. I couldn’t limit to a set color palette as all of the objects were so unique, so I tried to limit the amount of colors in each illustration.

Format Considerations

As I was working on the illustrations, I played with the idea of display the artifact as a loose-leaf booklet versus a book. I was initiially leaning to having loose-leaf pages so as to not have to assign an order to each of the objects, but I decided to go for a book formwat to lend to a more intimate and perosnal experience while flipping through. This also allowed me to separate some of the objects that were more similar to each other to string together a loose narrative.


As for the actual design of each page, I decided to keep the hierarchy and text very simple so as not to detract from the stories being shared. I focused on having a more neutral body type as well that would compliment my illustration style.


As the survey I sent out was anonymous, there was no easy way for me to distribute/share individual pages to each of the respondents. To allow for the participants to view the results of the project, I decided to create a simple website that would allow people to browse through the site easily and not lose any information that was in the physical book.

On the home page, I have a quick blurb describing the project, as well as some "featured objects" that are randomly selected from a list to draw users in.


As for the collection page, I decided to make it so that as you hover over the different objects, the background color of the page would change to the main color of the image. I wanted to try and mimic the feeling of looking at a singular page without necessarily having to click in and out of singular pages.

Final Spreads

I ended up with 21 different illustrations, which translated to a 48 page book. I printed each page at 5" x 6" to create a more intimate experience for the viewer.


This project was definitely challenging in ways I had not felt about other projects prior. I definitely struggled with figuring out how to find a balance between my voice and the stories within the piece. I think that working with such a large amount of user generated content was quite difficult, but I am so incredibly grateful for all of the people who participated in this project.

un sdg overfishing

increasing awareness through motion

aiga monsters

visualizing design census data