periscope profile redesign—
future media design team
I worked with the Twitter and Periscope design teams to redesign Periscope profiles to improve health on the platform.
I collaborated closely with engineers, designers, and researchers to finalize content, visuals, and interaction for profiles on Periscope as well as on Twitter Live.
Broadcasters have trouble identifying good/bad actors when deciding on call-in requests
Periscope had recently released a feature that allowed viewers to "call-in" to broadcaster streams and be able to share video and audio with the audience. However, there was not enough information for broadcasters to quickly make a decision on a viewer calling in.
Persiscope profiles lack immediate information
Viewers who do not broadcast themselves have almost no content to prove to hosts that they can be trusted. Additionally, scrubbing through old broadcasts can be time consuming and counter intuitive for broadcasters in the process of streaming themselves.
The main goal was to help broadcasters make informed decisions when accepting/declining guests
This could be accomplished by allowing users to better represent themselves through their profiles. Another goal of the project was to begin thinking about the unification between the Twitter and Periscope design languages.
I started off by looking at profile pages from different applications—from other broadcasting apps to social media and podcasting apps
To avoid being distracted by visual elements, I decided to use colors to represent different types of information and block out visual design elements.
Some ideas I worked with were ranking pages, visible comments, and social proof information
As I began to incorporate elements from my competitive analysis into sketches and wireframes, I was able to get a better sense of the complexities of the problem space. I worked on trying to see how much information I could begin to fit on the profile, focusing on providing more valuable information at first glance. I also began working on unifying the visual and interactive elements of the Periscope profile with Twitter design standards.
I tested with a condensed profile view to remind broadcasters that they were still streaming
I began to populate my wireframes with real information to get a better sense of how the design would look like in app. I worked with two main profile examples (long and short bios/names) as well as profiles in different languages to test for edge cases.
empty state illustrations
As many Periscope users currently lack public broadcasts, I worked on creating empty state illustrations that would help make newer profiles a bit friendlier
Rather than use these to highlight what was missing, I decided to give the illustrations a more positive light that would hopefully work to encourage users to create content themselves.
twitter live considerations
Currently, there is a lack of distinction between viewing Periscope or Twitter profiles through the Twitter LIVE context
As there was not enough bandwidth the implement the Periscope profiles identically in the Twitter app (in the live context), I focused on a simplified design that followed the upgraded design language. Additionally, I worked on copy to help distinguish between the two views as well as a way to switch between profiles.
As I continued with my explorations, I worked with the team to prioritize different elements of my designs for the milestone one release
For scoping purposes, I worked on perfecting the visuals and constraints of the information that would show up on the condensed profile and how it would translate when the sheet was expanded.
I utilized Origami Prototype to build out the profile and share with engineers
While there were no specific motion guidelines, I based a lot of the interactions on the Twitter app.
I was able to create small illustrations for side projects through my internship
I created illustrations based on the idea of a hydra (which was the team name for the call-in feature) and the Periscope logo to create a fun mascot for team merch. I also worked on illustrated posters for research insights and created assets and lead a design exercise for Girls Who Code.