school of design senior show
core branding team lead
Final_FINAL__v36 copy.show is an exhibit showcasing the work of the School of Design senior class
Our class worked together over the course of a semester to brand the show, curate and organize the projects through three floors, and install the show.
Final_FINAL__v36 copy.show is a play on the perfectionist (and mildly disorganized) nature of the design process and our class as a whole
We started off with the struggle of trying to choose a theme that would describe our class of 36. We didn't want to choose something that was either too serious or too exclusive to design majors that it would not be easily understood by a wider audience. In the end, we decided on Final_FINAL__v36 copy.show inspired by our iterative process.
We decided to use a lot of bright colors to match the overall tone we wanted to set through our humorous theme.
We worked with a six color palette and limited colors for backgrounds/text so as to avoid jarring contrasts.
We decided on Filson Pro as our main typeface as it has a lot of personality while still being legible at different distances
We worked on adding creating simple/fun characters that could help draw people into the show
We used Cinema4D to create the shapes/compositions and added details in Procreate. To be more cohesive with our theme, we created sketches and un-polished versions of the stacks of shapes to represent "low-fi" and "mid-fi" iterations. We wanted and started creating a couple different characters to start with that could be used on promotional materials.
We replaced the expressions of characters with tools to not distract from the work
As there were concerns that some of the character's expressions might be too inappropriate for different portions of the gallery (especially paired near more serious work), so we decided to remove the faces and replaced them with different design tools that encapsulated the product, communication, and environment design tracks.
We decide to keep the wordmark fairly simple to not clash with the characters on printed material or the work in the show
We decided to split it up into required componenents (Final.show) and optional components (FINAL__, v36, copy) that could be switched out if desired. We also allowed for color changes and varied line breaks so that the wordmark could adapt to different sizes and layout.
To communicate this to our team, we created a short presentation that could be referred back to
We ended up with a couple of iterations before finalizing based on the suggestions and feedback of our team.